The perfect gift to give…I think we have found it! Every year the company I work for gives over a hundred holiday gifts to our clients and every year we try to come up with something that gives a little back. This year the responses of how from our clients regarding how much they loved the FEED bags we sent out was absolutely overwhelming. We decided to send out the gray / burlap tote bag which costs $80 and feeds one child school meals for one year. Along with the bag was a personal card which also explained what their gift was doing for a very special child and also the amazing mission behind FEED.
FEED began in 2006 when acclaimed model and activist Lauren Bush designed a bag to benefit the United Nations World Food Programme’s School Feeding program. After visiting countries around the world in Asia, Latin America, and Africa where WFP is operating, she was inspired by the plight of the people she met on her travels. She took a special interest in WFP’s School Feeding program, which feeds and educates hungry children. She first created the FEED 1 bag, a reversible burlap and organic cotton bag reminiscent of the bags of food distributed by WFP, to help raise funds and awareness around these school feeding operations. It was stamped with “FEED the children of the world” and the number ‘1’ to signify that each bag feeds one child in school for one year. And in 2007, FEED Projects LLC was founded by Lauren Bush and Ellen Gustafson to produce and sell these bags.
FEED takes on the challenge of HUNGER which is everywhere and gives it the solution of providing nutritious food which is investing in a childs future. When boys and girls are given a free, nutritious meal in school, research has shown that attendance and performance greatly increases. Girls with just a few years of education have fewer children, have them later in life, and are better prepared to care for and educate them. For many children, a school lunch is the only meal they will receive all day, and often take home rations of their school lunch to provide dinner for their families.
FEED has everything from bags, apparel and accessories where you can find something special for anyone or yourself. Check out FEED and share the love and feed a child.
DID YOU KNOW?
- HUNGER IS NO. 1 ON THE LIST OF THE WORLD’S TOP 10 HEALTH RISKS
- 1 IN 7 PEOPLE GO TO BED HUNGRY EVERY NIGHT
- HUNGER AND MALNUTRITION KILL MORE PEOPLE THAN AIDS, MALARIA, AND TUBERCULOSIS COMBINED
- 65% OF THE WORLD’S HUNGRY LIVE IN ONLY 7 COUNTRIES AROUND THE WORLD
Source: World Food Programme
OTHER WAYS TO DO GOOD & GIVE BACK
- DONATE YOUR TIME: There are so many ways you can donate your time. Check out Infinite Family, which connects African orphans and vulnerable children with mentors using video conferencing and a secure internet site. You can donate your time, 30 minutes a week, to help inspire teens and help them build the confidence, skills and global perspective that promotes success.
- VOLUNTEER: Check out your local neighborhood on ways you can volunteer in your community and give back. Don’t know where to start? Check out VolunteerMatch.org to see where you can get involved in your town.